Wednesday, August 12, 2009

i assume so

If I am learning anything in life, thus far, it is to assume less. There may be a healthy level of assumption in daily matters, but I have found the threshold of such should be kept desperately low.

'I assume' should not be confused with 'I believe,' 'I trust,' or obviously 'I know.'

Assumption is based on inconclusive, often fabricated, half-truth evidence, whereas belief is ordinarily grounded in belabored perception, trust planted in simple faith, and knowledge rooted in truth.


Standing at a bus stop I can assume that a bus will be coming soon.. based on the fact it's a bus stop. Or, I can believe it's coming because I've read the schedule and seen the signs. I can also trust it's on its way because someone told me it was.

But not until I have seen or experienced it coming can I say, 'I know...'

Even after I know something... I am repeatedly challenged to believe and trust to bolster and increase that wisdom. Assumption, however, does nothing to multiply knowledge, and 'flying by the seat of my pants' (as my father would put it) creates no new rationale (except- details on what not to do) and falls painfully short of true understanding.

1 comment: